This project consists of the weatherization and restoration of the exterior of buildings A and B at Sailors' Snug Harbor, a New York City Landmark also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The complex is historically and culturally significant as a home for old sailors, founded by Robert Richard Randall.
The complex is also architecturally significant: the five marble fronted buildings face the water and the three buildings in the center (which included Building B) were designed by Minard Lafever and built in 1830. Building A was built in 1879. Although built over time, the whole composition is cohesive and powerful.
Working with the New York City's Department of General Services and the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences Françoise Bollack Architects developed an approach for the stabilization and restoration of the exterior envelope based on life cycle cost analysis and sound preservation practices. This approach resulted in the construction of a new standing seam copper roof instead of an asphalt roll roofing surface and the careful re-pointing of the historic brick walls on an "as-needed" basis instead of a more invasive "total" re-pointing.
The work consisted of: - masonry restoration (brick dolomitic limestone and sandstone) - metal restoration (sheet metal and cast iron) - new standing seam copper roof
Owner: New York City; Department of Real Property
Client: New York City; Department of General Services.
Division of Design and Construction Management
Area: 5,000 square feet.
Scope of Services: Complete Architectural Services for all phases including materials conservation.
Architect: Françoise Bollack Architects
Consultant: Mary B. Dierickx
Structural Engineer: Robert Silman Associates
Conservator: Integrated Conservation Resources.
Stone Conservation: George Segan Wheeler.